Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dosa on Roads..

I am quite excited about the post that I have decided to talk as its a heart-to-plate tie up for me . I have to start off with the relationship between dosa and me . In my final year of college days I had to step out of the college hostel for my project work (In reality, done by someone else;-;-D) . so I stayed in a hostel where they did not provide food for the inmates . I tried in few hotels initially but was too lazy to walk out for dinner everyday ( Yah! tired after studying for the semesters ;-D).Finally one fine day something struck my mind. I went to a Home Center nearby and bought a non-stick dosa pan ( that was my mistake!) and all other required apparatus for the experiments and to do the reactions in the kitchen that I had in my hostel . From then on I used to get an instant dosa mix on my way back to hostel . My dinner , breakfast and lunch in weekends was dosa . On weekdays it was my daily snacks and dinner . I made my meals interesting by trying out new shapes and innovative ideas in each dosa I made . I know , what would be the head-banging question u have! . Its about the curries and side dishes with these dosas (see how good I am in mind reading). For instant dosa instant curries worked out well (heights of my laziness) . I made thin dosa which is called paper roast when I was less hungry and thick ones called as uthappam when I was at the peak of hunger . Small and tiny ones for snacks and long strips for a change . I used tomato ketchup , variety of dal powders from the stores , eggs to spread on dosas to bring a feel of pizza and burgers but all with the dosa mix I bought.
This Dosamania continued for days , weeks , months , semesters . Finally there came the anniversary of the Dosa Day . Scratching head ? that how did I remember the day ??? here is the answer, while I was packing all my stuff to vacate the room after my college final year exam I found the bill of the dosa pan I bought (I preserved it for the one year warranty that comes along with the pan). If at all the shop keeper knew my usage of the pan which was 24*7*365 probably he would not have given me the warranty card (lol!!!) . Finally , I vacated my room and the first person whom I bid Farewell were the dosa; from then on I never ever looked at the word that contains D O S A . I became very reluctant to this one dish , so much that I informed my mom not to ever make dosas at home , never ever let anyone serve me dosa or even talk about it . There was this one incident which got to my nerve and I yelled at people with all my strengths . It was a few days before a marriage event for my cousin where we had a get together for all ladies in mehendi function to my surprise my aunt arranged for a Dosa mela ( yuck ! now u understand my temper) . Its a short past in my life in which dosa has a major role . Its been 5 years now , a life without dosa and continued like that.
As u know I work in night shifts , my eating and sleeping habits obviously changed . I will have to calculate the hours between my sleeps and meals (its not breakfast, lunch and dinner anymore). I eat food whenever and whatever available between the hours I am awake or at work . So here in office , I have few friends to eatout , hangout together (what ever u call it) . Since its late hours we have very limited source to arrange for food. At this point I have to mention my companion in office , its none other than Mouli (few of u know him already , the guy with the brainy brain) . The food which is available in my office pantry is limited to fresh juices and maggie noodles(which was half the time burnt) . We both have worked for 2+ , 3+ years in this office so already tired of these items . So we were finding out other options to fill our stomach after the shift . One day Chiky ( my man! ) came with a solution to try out something which is beside his office premises (which is also on-the-way to both of our destination).

It was 5 O clock , early in the morning , Mouli and I headed to the place suggested by Chiky . What we saw was unbelievable. Under a huge banayan tree there was a group of people neatly dressed and a neat pavement (which is very important to me !) and a welcoming smile :-) . With all this good sight that we had, we parked our bike and went near the table that had all the dishes arranged in a row . The guy who was on the other side of the table wished us and handed over the empty plate for us to serve from the dishes on the table. We were so hungry after a tiresome shift that the heavenly smell made us so happy to see the food that was arranged. We had 4 kinds of chutneys , sambar common for all tiffins . Idly was hot , Pongal was creamy and Poori was just out of the ocean of oil . I just turned to observe the corner of the table which had 4 dosa pan ready to make hot dosa quickly for the ones who ordered it . At the very first glance of the DOSA , I turned my head off it . Mouli felt happy to see the hot dosa (May be he did not have a past like mine!!!) . He ordered the dosa and He liked it so much that he went for the other one . This made me to have a thought about my old friend (The Dosa) . I ordered one . Within 2 minutes I had a golden brown crispy dosa straight from the pan folded in semi circle with 4 chutney around it .
Morning breeze , chilly air and hot steamy dosa in my hand (hmmmmm...). we really found a good place to eat . Since then I come to office everyday in a thought to go the tiffin center after my shift . It was a daily practice of Mouli and mine , but now there is a huge crowd from my project who would even wait after their shift ( not anytime for the project ) to eat with us. We go to the place will all our friends and have a hearty first meal of the day and with lots of fun but with a minimum expenditure . My relation continues with the dosa on roads..

1 comment:

  1. sow... how can you hate dosa??? I mean, I had dosa every single day last year, for 1 month, when we went to the SMT tour...I looooooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee Dosa!!!

    Have to visit that "under the tree restaurant" when I come to chennai next time...

    ReplyDelete